One of the most neglected appliances in terms of maintenance is the washing machine. It is possible that I know for a fact that because it is a cleaning element, it stays clean in itself. But nothing is further from the truth, inside the washing machine remains of fabrics, stagnant water and all kinds of waste accumulate that can even be toxic.
Therefore, it is very important to clean the washing machine step by step from time to time. In this way, your clothes will come out really clean and sanitized and you can increase the life of your washing machine. With natural products that you may already have at home and in a fairly simple way, you will have a perfect appliance for a long time. Do you want to know how to clean your washing machine? This is the step by step. Also do not miss these cleaning tips.
How often is it recommended to clean the washing machine?
To avoid waste and standing water form fungi and other bacteria In the corners of your washing machine, it is recommended to clean thoroughly every 3 or 4 months. This makes it much quicker and easier to keep it clean without spending too much time. On the other hand, the accumulation of water can damage the rubbers inside the washing machine, creating fungi and other bacteria that are difficult to remove. A thorough cleaning every few months will prevent this.
The products that you will need to clean the washing machine are white cleaning vinegar, baking soda and water. As for the utensils, you will only need a cotton cloth and an old toothbrush. Once the materials are prepared, we begin with the cleaning of the washing machine.
Step by step
- First we have to clean the filter of the washing machine. At the bottom you will find the stopper, put old towels on the floor because stagnant water will come out. Clean the cap with lukewarm water, if necessary use a kitchen scouring pad. Wipe the inside of the drain and remove accumulated debris. Put the cap back in place.
- Remove the detergent drawer. Take out the plastic box and clean with a scouring pad, warm water, and dishwasher detergent. Dry with absorbent paper. Clean the hole in the box with the damp cloth, like this we remove traces of detergents that have been accumulated.
- Cleaning the tires. To do this, we are going to mix a cup of white cleaning vinegar and half a cup of baking soda. First we are going to remove stagnant water from rubber seals with a cloth. Now, with the toothbrush we are going to rub the mixture made by the areas where black mold stains have appeared. If the stains persist, apply the mixture and let it act for a few minutes before repeating the process.
- Clean the drum. To clean the drum, we are going to put a cup of white vinegar in the detergent tank. We close the washing machine and we put a normal wash cycle with hot water. When the cycle is over, we wipe the inside of the drum with a damp cloth and leave the door open to dry completely.
- The outside. It only remains to clean the exterior and the door of the washing machine. To do this, mix warm water with a cup of white vinegar in a bowl. Use a cloth and go clean the exterior well, in addition to the door on the inside and outside.
To prevent mold stains from appearing on the washing machine rubbers, it is important leave the door open after every wash. Allowing the interior of the washer to air dry completely is the best way to keep mold and other bacteria at bay. Performing a thorough cleaning every 3 to 4 months will help you have a more hygienic washing machine. Which will make your clothes come out cleaner, with a better smell and disinfected.
If you have noticed that lately your clothes come out less clean or with a bad smell from the washing machine, it is a warning from your appliance. A good cleaning of all the elements of your washing machine you will solve the problem quickly, easily and with environmentally friendly products.