Emotional blackmail, unfortunately, is a fairly common behavior in many of today's couples. The manipulator will act selfishly and watch out for their interests at all times.
You are able to constantly blame your partner in order to make him or her feel bad as well as guilty. It is a truly toxic relationship that cannot and should not be allowed under any circumstances.
Table of Contents
The motives or causes of emotional blackmail
- There are many reasons why a person can be an emotional blackmailer within a certain relationship. One of the most common reasons is having too low self-esteem.
- In many cases, people diagnosed with a borderline personality disorder and a fairly high ego, They can also use some manipulation with the partner to feel good about themselves and strengthen their personality.
- Emotional dependence is another cause of blackmail from one person to another. The fear that exists that the victim may leave him, makes the manipulator make you feel bad in a constant way.
Tools used by the emotional blackmailer
The blackmailer or emotional manipulator usually has various tools to help him achieve his goal within the relationship:
- The threats are constant and habitual to instill fear in the victim. It is normal to threaten to kill yourself if the other person leaves you or ends the relationship. In this way, fear makes the victim feel tied to their own relationship.
- Another of the tools most used by the emotional blackmailer is to show his anger through silence. This makes the victim think that he is the one to blame for everything. Passive behavior is one of the clearest elements in emotional blackmail.
- Victimism is another of the means that the manipulator uses when it comes to getting what he wants within the couple. In all fights or discussions the manipulator plays the role of victim.
- Promising things that are never fulfilled it is another of the clearest tools that an emotional manipulator uses. It is normal to constantly promise the partner that he will change, when it does not happen.
- Making the victim feel guilty for everything is another of the strategies most used by emotional blackmailers. This is nothing more than a full-blown psychological abuse, that ends up seriously undermining the person who suffers it.
Unfortunately, There are many people who do not realize that they are being emotionally manipulated by their partner. The help of family and friends is key in helping the victim end the toxic relationship. In many cases, the emotional blackmail is so strong and continuous that they need help from a professional to rebuild their lives. It is normal for the victim to have a significant emotional drain that must be treated as soon as possible, to avoid greater evils.