Today at Bezzia we adapt a traditional cannelloni recipe to a vegan diet. The result is these tofu and mushroom gratin cannelloni that the pictures don't do justice to. Crispy cannelloni on the outside with very tasty filling.
Onion, bell pepper, carrot, mushrooms and tofu, those are the ingredients of the filling. A filling that you can also prepare with other vegetable proteins like tempeh, textured soybeans or textured peas to give a few examples, so as not to bore you.
And to create a different dish every day you can also play with the sauce. Gratin them with a little vegan cheese is all you need to serve a great dish, but if you also add a sauce made from coconut milk like this or a vegan béchamel ... the result will be ten. Do you dare to prepare them?
Ingredients for 12-14 cannelloni
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 10 mushrooms, chopped
- 200 g. tofu, chopped
- 4 tablespoons of tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika (sweet and / or spicy)
- 14 plates of cannelloni
For the sauce
- 3 glasses of coconut milk
- A pinch of nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 80 g. grated vegan cheese that melts well
Step by step
- In a frying pan with two tablespoons of oil sauté the onion, the pepper and the carrot for 8 minutes.
- Then add the mushrooms and tofu and cook a few minutes until the mushrooms take color.
- Add the tomato, mix and cook another couple of minutes so that it loses part of its water.
- To finish preparing the filling, salt and pepper to taste, add the paprika and mix.
- Now cook the cannelloni plates in a saucepan with plenty of salty water following the manufacturer's instructions.
- Once cooked and drained, place a tablespoon of filling on each one of them, roll up and go placing the cannelloni in one or more oven-safe dishes.
- When you're done, prepare the sauce heating the coconut milk with the nutmeg, salt, pepper and half of the cheese in a saucepan, until it is integrated.
- Pour in half the sauce over the cannelloni, spread the remaining cheese and pour the remaining sauce over it. The sauce does not have to cover the cannelloni, but it does have to reach at least 2/3 of their height.
- Take to the preheated oven and gratin for 10-15 minutes or until golden.
- Serve the hot tofu and mushroom cannelloni gratin.