Othello syndrome refers to a character in a play by the English writer Shakespeare. This character was characterized by suffering pathological jealousy, causing him to think at all times about his wife's infidelity. As is to be expected, the person who suffers from this syndrome causes their relationship to be doomed to failure and that the coexistence between both people is unsustainable.
This is a real problem for any couple as the relationship becomes toxic. In the following article we will talk more about this kind of syndrome and how it affects the couple in a negative way.
What is Othello syndrome due to?
It is clear that the person who suffers from Othello syndrome has a certain vulnerability at the mental level. In addition, there are a series of reasons or causes for which you come to suffer such types of jealousy: low self-esteem, great emotional dependence on the partner and an excessive fear of being abandoned by the loved one and left alone.
The person with this kind of jealousy can also suffer a series of disorders of various kinds as can be the case of obsessive compulsive disorder or a certain paranoid-type disorder. On the other hand, it is also thought that such jealousy can be caused by the excessive consumption of substances as harmful and harmful to the body as alcohol or drugs.
Symptoms of Othello syndrome
As we have already mentioned above, the person who suffers from this syndrome is pathological and unhealthy jealousy of his partner. This type of jealousy will have three distinct characteristics:
- There is no real cause why such jealousy should be produced.
- Excessive and excessive suspicion of the partner.
- The reaction is totally irrational and meaningless.
As for the symptoms of the jealous person, the following should be highlighted:
- Exerts excessive control of your partner. He thinks that he is unfaithful at all times and this causes him to be constantly on the alert.
- You do not respect your partner's privacy and space. You have to know at all times what your partner is doing. This has a negative impact on their social relationships.
- The insults and the yelling are in the light of day. All of this leads to violence that can be physical or mental.
- There is no room for positive emotions or feelings. It is normal for the jealous person to be angry and pissed off throughout the day. He is not happy with his partner, being more of a dependent relationship.
Ultimately, it is important to treat this type of syndrome as soon as possible. The jealous person needs the help of a professional, to help him see that you cannot have a relationship with another person in a toxic way. If the person does not allow himself to be treated or is not able to overcome the problem of jealousy, the relationship is doomed to failure. A relationship should be based on the absolute respect and trust of both people. Pathological jealousy cannot be allowed in a relationship, as it will end up destroying it.