In many houses rice is prepared on weekends. And when they are at work, a few more rice rations are added to complete the menu on Monday or Tuesday. And although paella is the queen in these cases, at Bezzia we really like to enjoy a Soupy rice with autumn vegetables and mushrooms like the one we propose today.
We like rice soupy, although not so soupy that the grains of rice swim in the broth. How do you like them? Play with the amount of broth so that the rice is to your liking. The first few times you may have to adjust the amount on the fly; later, you will have the measure caught.
Along with the rice, mushrooms they are the protagonists of this recipe. Depending on which ones you use, you may want to cook them a bit before adding them to the rice. This is how we do it with the toughest varieties, despite the fact that the cooking time of the rice is sufficient to cook them.
- 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large white onion, minced
- 2 Italian green peppers, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 450 g. autumn mushroom
- 260 g. of rice
- 2 tablespoons of tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon of sweet paprika
- Salt and pepper
- A few broccoli florets, cooked
- Vegetables soup
- Food coloring (optional)
Step by step
- If any of the mushrooms you are going to use is very hard, sauté it for a few minutes in a separate pan to soften it slightly.
- Once done, heat four tablespoons of olive oil in a saucepan and poach the onion and peppers for 10 minutes.
- Then incorporate the mushrooms and the garlic cloves and sauté until the first ones are lightly browned.
- Now, add the rice and sauté a couple of minutes before adding the fried tomato first and the spices second.
- Immediately after pour the broth, the food coloring and the cooked broccoli florets. The amount of water will depend on the rice, the fire ... but it will have to be approximately 4 times that of the rice.
- Mix, cover the casserole and cook over high heat for six minutes.
- Then, uncover, remove and cook over a softer heat another twelve minutes stirring the rice from time to time. If you see that it stays dry, you will only have to add more broth or water.
- When the rice is tender, remove the casserole from the heat, cover the casserole with a cloth and let the rice with vegetables and mushrooms stand a couple of minutes before serving.