The Yotam Ottolenghi cookbooks they are my favorites when it comes to seeking inspiration. There are few times that I follow their recipes to the letter, but many times I adapt them to create simpler versions or simply that fit my pantry. This cauliflower cake is one such example.
El Cake Cauliflower enters through the eyes. It is a very simple cake to make and perfect to serve both at lunch and at dinner, accompanied by a green salad. You can also prepare it in advance and present it warm or cold to your liking!
The book version doubles the amounts I have used, perfect for a 15-inch pan and four generous servings. In addition, the original recipe incorporates some ingredients that I have substituted for others or eliminated. Still the result is ten. Test it!
Ingredients (for a 15 cm mold)
- 260 g. cauliflower
- 1 / 2 cebolla
- 2 level tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped rosemary
- 3 large eggs
- 60 g. wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/3 teaspoon turmeric
- 75 g of grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 / 2 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Butter to grease the mold
- 2 tablespoons white sesame seeds
Step by step
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC, with heat up and down.
- Clean the cauliflower and separate it into chunks. Put a saucepan with water and a little salt to heat and, when it boils, cook the cauliflower for 15 minutes. Then leave it on a strainer to release all the water and dry.
- While the cauliflower cooks cut four onion rings to decorate the cake and chop the rest into not very small pieces, so they can be seen on the cake.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and poach the onion for about 10 minutes. Then, add the rosemary, cook two more minutes and let it temper off the heat.
- While it warms up, mix the dry ingredients in a bowl: flour, turmeric, royal yeast, salt and pepper.
- Then beat the eggs in a bowl. Once beaten, add the onion, dry ingredients, cheese and mix well.
- Finally, add the cauliflower pieces.
- Prepare the 15cm removable mold. Line its base with parchment paper and grease the walls with butter. Then sprinkle the sesame seeds along the walls of the mold.
- Pour the mixture into the mold now that it's ready and garnish with the reserved onion rings.
- Take to the oven and cook for 45 minutes or until set. Then take it out of the oven, let it rest for five minutes and unmold.
- Serve the cauliflower cake with a salad and enjoy.